The second station of our travel to Europe was Venice (Venezia), beautiful city of Italy. Time is 1 hour back from Turkey in Italy. We arrived at Treviso after about 2 hours flight from Sofia (Wizzair). Currency is Euro (EUR). 1 Euro was equal to approximately 2 Turkish Liras. Turkish citizens who have regular passports need a Schengen visa to enter Italy.
It was 20:00 when we arrived at Treviso Airport (TSF). We went to Mestre from airport by bus (5 Euros). We thought we could go from to the hotel by walking, but after walking around a bit we saw that the road was highway and, we found ourselves in Marghera. Fortunately, there was a citizen we asked how to get to the hotel, he called hotel (Villa Dori) and described the place and we picked up by the hotel (16 Euros).
The price for the Rolling Venice card was 22 Euros for 72 hours. It could be bought by young people aged under 29, and was valid in buses, boats and public WCs. Ordinary bus ticket price was 1.1 Euros and boat ticket price was 6.5 Euros. We bought Rolling Venice Card because we would stay 3 days in Venice and use boat often.
Our Venice route:
1. day – 05.09.2010
In our first day we used the hotel’s shuttle service to go and come back from Venice. Service dropped off us in Piazzale Roma bus station. We walked around the island starting from here and finishing here . The first thing that caught my attention was that vehicles were stopping as soon as we step to crosswalk. I wish we would obey the rules as in here.
We started our tour walking across the Constitution Bridge (Ponte della Costituzione) on the Grand Canal (Canal Grande) and coming in front of Santa Lucia Railway Station (Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia). After eating here, we crossed to the opposite side walking across the Bridge of the Barefoot (Ponte Scalzi) on the Grand Canal.
Inverted S-shaped Grand Canal is about 4 km long, 30 to 70 m wide, the average 5 meters deep, and starts with Santa Lucia Railway Station and ends up with St. Mark’s Basilica (Basilica di San Marco). Walking across the small bridges on the canals and seeing the beautiful buildings was a big pleasure. The man feels himself like a dream 🙂 Firstly, we took pictures of Vendramin Calergi Palace (Palazzo Vendramin Calergi) which is one of the beautiful buildings on the Grand Canal. The German composer Richard Wagner died in here and it is now used as Wagner Museum and the Venice Casino (Casinò di Venezia).
Turkish Palace (Fondaco dei Turchi) takes place where I took the picture of this palace. I am interested in this beautiful building because it is the Turkish Palace, it is built in 13. century and, used by the Turkish traders from 1621. This palace, one of the structures that adorns Grand Canal is now used as Venice Natural History Museum (Museo di Storia Naturale di Venezia). After then, we arrived at Fish Market (Mercato del Pesce al Minuto).
Various types of fruits are sold next to the Fish Market.
After then, we arrived at Church of St. Giacomo in Rialto (Chiesa di San Giacomo di Rialto) and Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto) which became a symbol of Venice.
You can see statue of Carlo Goldoni on the left side after walking across Rialto Bridge.
After then, we arrived at St. Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco). There were so many tourists in Venice, I thought that there is no its own citizens, there were only tourists. Especially, this square, has become the symbol of Venice, was very crowded.
St. Mark’s Basilica (Basilica di San Marco) in this square was built in Byzantine style. Also, it is called as Golden Church (Chiesa d’Oro) because of its rich gilt decorations. There was about 100 meters high bell tower (Campanile di San Marco) on the opposite of the basilica, Venice’s highest point. You can watch the magnificent view of Venice climbing this tower. Tower was built in IX. century firstly. It is collapsed in 1902 and reconstructed in 1912.
There is Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale) next to the basilica. Doge’s Palace was quite imposing which is built in gothic style using pink Verona marble and white Istra stone.
Two granite columns were seen when we pass between Doge’s Palace and Campanile through seaside. There was winged lion statue representing St. Mark who is protector of the city on top of one of the columns, and there was St. Thedoro (San Theodorus) statue on top of the other column.
There was Bridge of Sighs (Ponte dei Sospiri) between Doge’s Palace and prison which is built in baroque style. It has taken this name because it was the last place where prisoners saw Venice lastly from here. We could see only the middle part of the bridge, the other parts were on maintenance when we visited.
The Basilica of St. Mary of Health (Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute) stands out on the other side of the canal. This church built due to an outbreak of plague occurred in 17. century and, dedicated to the Virgin Mary .
We saw Church of San Moisè Profeta (Chiesa di San Moisè Profeta) after walking through seaside and then inside. It was built in baroque style and, remarkable with sculptures and details on the facade.
After then, we arrived at Church of St. Mary of the Lily (Chiesa di Santa Maria del Giglio). This church was also built in baroque style and, remarkable with sculptures and details.
After then, we visited St. Maurice Church (Chiesa di San Maurizio) which was converted into Music Museum (Museo della Musica) and variety of musical instruments were exhibited. “Antonio Vivaldi e il suo tempo” exhibition was free here.
After going ahead a bit more, we saw the statue of Nicolò Tommaseo (Statua di Niccolò Tommaseo), who lived between the years of 1802-1874, linguist and journalist.
From here, we move towards the canal and, we saw Church of St. Vidal (Chiesa di San Vidal) which is now used as a concert hall.
After the church, we walked across the Academy Bridge (Ponte dell’Accademia) which is one of the 4 bridges on Grand Canal. Bridge was so crowded, staffs were warning people not to wait and not to take photos on the bridge.
After walking across, we took photos of Cavalli-Franchetti Palace (Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti) which has been using as Venice Institute of Science, Literature and Art (Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti) since 1999 and hosts cultural events. This palace is one of the magnificent buildings on the Grand Canal and firstly built in 1565.
After then, we saw Church of St. Barnabas (Chieasa di San Barnaba).
From here, we walked to Constitution Bridge and, took photos of Grand Canal and Bridge of the Barefoot. Also, St. Simeone Piccolo Church (Chiesa di San Simeone Piccolo) stood out with its green large dome, it canal overlooking part was on maintenance.
Then, we went to Rio Tera Lista di Spagna and visited the gift shops . There were colorful, various types of masks in the shops because Venice is famous for masks. And then, we took some night photos and, we went where the service would pick up us. Our tour was finalized here today.2. day – 06.09.2010
In the second day, we went to Murano, Burano and Lido islands according to suggestion of reception staff in the hotel. We used shuttle service of the hotel again to go to and come back from Venice.
In Murano Island we firstly saw Basilica of St. Mary and Donato (Basilica dei SS Maria e Donato) which is built in the Romanesque style. There was a campanile next to the church.
From here, we walked to Church of St. Peter Martyr (Chiesa di San Pietro Martire).
We reached a small square after walking across the small bridge near the church. Here, there was a blue colored star (Cometa di Vetro) made of glass by Simone Cenedese. Murano Island is famous for glass work.
Then we reached the lighthouse to go to Burano Island. There were bird figures made of glass here.
Burano Island is famous for lace and colorful houses.
Lido Island hosts Venice Film Festival which is held in September every year. Here, there were interesting buildings.
Murano , Burano and Lido Islands were quiet, peaceful places. Fortunately, we visited them.
3. day – 07.09.2010In our third day, we didn’t use the hotel’s shuttle service to and from Venice, this time we used the buses passing through Serenissima bus station. This time, we saw magnificent buildings on Grand Canal with canal tour.
We started our canal our from Santa Lucia Train Station. Natural History Museum of Venice was staying on the right side .
When we went a little forward, Vendramin Calergi Palace seen on the left side. From here, a little further on the right, there was Church of St. Stae (Chiesa di San Stae) which has been started to built in 11. century and completed in 17. century. This baroque style church is dedicated to St. Eustachio.
After passing the church, there was Pesaro Palace (Palazzo Pesaro) on the right side. It is built in baroque style and made of marble . Today, the palace is used as Museum of Modern Art.
Just beyond the palace, there was Corner Queen’s House (Ca’ Corner della Regina) which was made built by Corner family between 1724-1728 years.
St. Sophia Palace (Palazzo Santa Sofia) was on the left side which is known as Golden House (Ca’ d’Oro) because of the gilt on its walls. The palace was built in Venice gothic style.
Fish Market was seen on the right side.
After passing here, we saw large pink building of Rialto Market.
After passing Market, we saw the famous Rialto Bridge of Venice. Rialto Bridge was one of the four bridges on the Grand Canal, I think it was the most beautiful one.
After passing under Rialto Bridge, Cavalli Palace (Palazzo Cavalli), Corner Valmarana Palace (Palazzo Corner Valmarana) and Grimani Palace (Palazzo Grimani di San Luca) were standing out on the left side.
After passing these palaces, there was Trezza Donà Palace (Palazzo Donà della Trezza) on the right side.
Madoneta Donà Palace (Palazzo Donà della Madoneta) also known as Donà Dolcetti Palace (Palazzo Donà Dolcetti) next to Trezza Donà Palace was made built by Signolo family in 13. century firstly. The palace got Madoneta name in 19. century which was owned by Donà and Dolcetti families.
Bernardo Palace (Palazzo Bernardo) was again on the right side, made built by Bernardo family in the first half of the 15. century.
After going a bit more forward, pink colored Pisani Moretta Palace (Palazzo Pisani Moretta) was interesting.
There was red-colored Giustinian Persico Palace (Palazzo Giustinian Persico) a bit ahead of this palace.
Foscari Palace (Palazzo Foscari) which was built in gothic style in 15. century and Giustinian Palace (Palazzo Giustinian) were the most beautiful palaces on the canal.
Stern Palace (Palazzo Stern) was firstly made built by Malpaga family in the beginning of the 15. century and now transformed into a luxury hotel. Over the centuries, the building was damaged. It was purchased by Stern family in the 20. century and has been reconstructed.
Barbarigo Palace (Palazzo Barbarigo) firstly built in the 16. century. In 1886, it was enriched with Murano glass mosaics and gained a splendid view. Right next to this palace, Da Mula Palace (Palazzo Da Mula) was firstly built in 1340 in the gothic style. This palace was made built by Da Mula family who is one of the most important and noble families of Venice and used for 600 years by this family.
Peggy Guggenheim Collection (http://www.guggenheim-venice.it/) was exhibited in Palazzo Venier dei Leoni. It was probably begun in the 1750s by architect Lorenzo Boschetti, whose only other known building in Venice is the church of San Barnaba. Nor is it known how the palace came to be associated with “leoni,” lions. Although it is said that a lion was once kept in the garden, the name is more likely to have arisen from the yawning lion’s heads of Istrian stone which decorate the façade at water level. In 1949, Peggy Guggenheim purchased Palazzo Venier from the heirs of Viscountes Castlerosse and made it her home for the following thirty years. Early in 1951, Peggy Guggenheim opened her home and collection to the public and continued to do so every year until her death in 1979. In 1980, the Peggy Guggenheim Collection opened for the first time under the management of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, to which Peggy Guggenheim had given her palazzo and collection during her lifetime.
Salviati Palace (Palazzo Salviati) was house of Salviati family who was dealing with glass and mosaic work in Murano. After 1924, decorated with mosaics for the advertisement which was brought from Salviati Glass Factory.
After passing Salviati Palace, we saw Genoese Palace (Palazzo Genovese) which is used as a hotel (Centurion Palace Hotel) now.
After passing this hotel, we saw the Basilica of St. Mary of Health.
The triangular-shaped Punta della Dogana (http://www.palazzograssi.it/) separates the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal. As a center for contemporary art, the former customs house of the city presents exhibitions of works from the Pinault Collection. There was a public statue (Boy With Frog) by Charles Ray at tip of Punta della Dogana.
There were Hotel Bauer and Giustinian House (Ca’ Giustinian) on the left side. Giustinian House hosts Venice Bienal (La Biennale di Venezia).
We got off on San Marco station and, continued our tour and taking photos.
Church of St. Giorgio Maggiore (Basilica di San Giorgio Maggiore), built in the classical renaissance style, its brilliant white marble facade, big dome and campanile had a nice point of view from St. Mark’s Square. The church first built about 790. In 1223, it was destroyed by an earthquake and it was completed in 1610. The campanile, first built in 1467, fell in 1774; it was rebuilt in neo-classic style by 1791.
There was Statue of Victor Emmanuel II (Statua di Vittorio Emmanuele II) in Riva degli Schiavoni.
And then, we got on from San Marco station and continued our Grand Canal tour. And, our tour has ended in Santa Lucia Station.
4. day – 08.09.2010
Firstly, we went to Padova (Padua) from Mestre in our last day in Venice (2.35 Euros).
Our Padova route:
We arrived at Gardens Arena (Giardini dell’Arena) by walking from train station.
We took photos of Giuseppe Garibaldi Statue and Scrovegni Chapel (Cappella degli Scrovegni) in the garden and continued walking.
Savings Bank (Cassa di Risparmio) building was interesting with its colors and sculptures. There was Church of the Hermits (Chiesa degli Eremitani) in behind of the bank.
We contined from same way (Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi) and, we saw Cavour Square and Gallery (Galleria civica Piazza Cavour).
Museum of the Risorgimento and Contemporary Age (Museo del Risorgimento e dell’Età Contemporanea) takes place cross the gallery.
After passing from in front of this museum, we arrived at a square (Piazza dei Frutti) where fruits were sold. Here, the Hall of Justice (Palazzo della Ragione) was standing out with its arched structure.
We went ahead and arrived at Signori Square (Piazza dei Signori). Here, Captain’s Palace (Palazzo del Capitanio) was standing out with its clock tower.
There was a column in front of the palace, and there was winged lion statue on top of the column.
There was red colored church in the square.
After then, we arrived at Baptistery of the Cathedral (Battistero del Duomo).
The weather was rainy and we wanted to visit Treviso. So, we stopped our Padova tour and went to the station. If we had more time, we could visit St. Anthony Basilica (Basilica del Santo) which was a symbol of Padova.
We went to Trerviso from Padova by bus (4 Euros).
Our Treviso route:
When we got off from bus, after passing over Sile River, there was Church of St. Martin Urban (Chiesa di San Martino Urbano) on the left side. When we looked at this church from behind, we saw a big green dome.
After passing the church, we turned left and saw a monument (Monumento ai caduti di tutte le guerre).
This monument takes place in front of the Post Office in city center (Centro cittadino di Treviso).
We saw St. Stephen’s Church (Chiesa di Santo Stefano) when we got back on our way.
When we went ahead Corso del Popolo road, we saw Knights’ Loggia (La Loggia dei Cavalieri).
We turned left from here and arrived at Signori Square (Piazza dei Signori). Palazzo dei Trecento and Torre civica were the most beautiful buildings of Treviso which were located in this square.
After passing through this square, we turned right and arrived at St. Vito Square (Piazza San Vito) çıktık.
We walked a bit more and arrived at Buranelli Canal (Canale dei Buranelli), and took photos of this perfect view.
After passing over canal and seeing Church of St. Francis (Chiesa di San Francesco), we went back and arrived at Calmaggiore Street.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Treviso (Diocesi Di Treviso) in Calmaggiore Street was remarkable with its big green domes.
Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle (Cattedrale di San Pietro Apostolo) which is overlooking Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo) part built in neoclassical style.
From here we went to the bus station to go to the airport to go to Barcelona. Thus, our Treviso and Venice tour ended up here as well.